Sunday, April 3, 2011

Once more...with feeling!

I have been somewhat "unplugged" this weekend,  but with a new school week approaching I spent some time catching up on what my PLN had to say via twitter this weekend.  I came across a tweet from @gcouros which shared this blog post from Bud The Teacher.    Take just a moment  to click on this link, read the comments, and watch the video.   

http://budtheteacher.com/blog/2011/03/05/what-do-you-do-with-the-mad-that-you-feel/


There are so many feelings floating around the world of education right now; anger, disappointment, grief, and befuddlement. Feelings which have their roots in funding and program cuts or eliminations. Many of these feelings come from professionals who have had life changing experiences due to programs that are seemingly deemed unimportant or "extra".  Programs that have made "the" difference for teachers and students alike are fat to be trimmed away.  These are dark days and there will be more.  

But....

These are not the only feelings floating around in the world of education.  Just a few more feelings to add to the mix might include inspired, creative, purposed, innovative, reflective, and connected.  These are the powerful feelings I get from my PLN.  

When the headlines become too much to take, I seek these feelings shared with other educators across the world and in my own backyard.  And what do I do with those feelings?  I seek to make connections.  I contribute.  I become part of the conversation.

  In the video above Mr. Rogers asks simply to have a conversation.  He does not want to read a proposal although the written ideas are of great importance to him.  He instead wants to reach out and make a human connection.  We must never forget what to do with our feelings.  Mr. Rogers would have us turn those feelings into action.  How we act is up to us.

What do you do with the mad that you feel?

What do you do with the glad that you feel?

Join the conversation.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know what to do with my mad. It is putting a dark cloud over what I've been able to accomplish during my teaching career and I'm wondering...was it worth it? Does anybody care?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellen,
    I too am having some dark cloud moments. What I have decided is that is is worth it. There are a lot of people who are mad. This means they care. It reminds me how much I care. If I did not care I would not be bothered by the dark cloud moments. I am still working on finding the silver lining to these clouds, but I believe there is one out there. Your teaching career and it's many accomplishments make this world a better place today and tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete